Dear Carolyn:

My ex hid assets during our marriage and, boy, do I not trust him. I am trying to find them. In looking at our bank statement from the last year of the marriage, I see about $5,000 a month disappear or other mysterious expenses. What can I do to find these assets? I feel defrauded. Why did I ever trust him?


Carolyn Answers:

Broken trust is hard to heal, but you can mount a legal claim to find the assets or at least hold him accountable in the property division for the missing assets. I believe most judges would make him totally explain what he did with the money, and then absent a believable explanation hold him accountable for the missing money.

You need an attorney who is skilled in finding hidden assets. The process begins with an extensive discovery process and an understanding of the whole marital asset portfolio. Also, there are forensic accountants and private investigators that specialize in the area of finding hidden assets. For example, legally analyzing your ex’s computer and cell phone might give clues. Or, maybe he has hidden the money in cash, hopefully, in a safe or lockbox you find. With the proper process, I believe you can get the judge to hold your ex accountable and responsible for all the missing money.



Send your questions on family law and divorce matters to “Ask Carolyn…” at, or P.O. Box 9023, Greensboro, NC 27427. Please do not put identifying information in your questions. Note that the answers in “Ask Carolyn” are intended to provide general legal information, and the answers are not specific legal advice for your situation. The column also uses hypothetical questions. A subtle fact in your unique case may determine the legal advice you need in your individual case. Also, please note that you are not creating an attorney-client relationship with Carolyn J. Woodruff by writing or having your question answered by “Ask Carolyn…”