The ever popular Shark Week will be resurfacing at the Greensboro Science Center (GSC) from Monday July, 25 to Saturday, July 30.
During Shark Week, GSC will have crafts, games and activities focused on these predators of the sea from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily. Shark Week activities are free with GSC general admission or membership.
GSC School and Aquarium Programs Manager Alison Manka in a press release said, “Humans are innately fascinated by sharks, and they occupy many facts or our lives – from popular songs to new scientific discoveries. Shark Week is a way to get to know the facts about sharks and dispel many of the fears we have about them while having a bit of fun at the same time. This event is also a way to celebrate the importance and diversity of life in our amazing oceans. By dispelling myths and making sharks a bit more lovable, we hope to encourage everyone to contribute to shark conservation.”
Each day of Shark Week will feature a different theme and craft. The daily themes for Shark Week 2022 will be:
- Munch, Munch Monday: Participants will learn what sharks eat and discover different ways they catch their prey.
- Toothful Tuesday: Guests will be invited to play “Myth or Tooth” trivia to test their knowledge about sharks. A helpful hint is that losing a tooth is no big deal for a shark some sharks lose more than 30,000 teeth in their lifetime.
- Wonders Wednesday: Guests will discover some amazing shark adaptations, like their ability to detect electricity.
- Thoughtful Thursday: Participants will find out why sharks are important and explore ways they can help them.
- Freaky Friday: Guests will be invited to learn about some of the strangest sharks in the sea.
- Supreme Saturday: Guests will discover which sharks are the biggest, smallest, oldest and fastest. Helpful hint, some sharks live to be over 200 years old.