Wednesday, April 14 at 2:05 a.m., what some people still consider Tuesday night, there was another altercation at Tranquilo Bar and Restaurant in downtown Greensboro that required a police response.
Tranquilo Bar and Restaurant at 221 S. Elm St. was the site of an altercation Sunday evening, April 11, where four people were stabbed. According to the police report none of the injuries were life threatening.
As a result of the stabbings on Sunday, Greensboro Mayor Nancy Vaughan, in a post on her Facebook page, said that she would renew her push for the nightclub ordinance that she proposed in December 2020, in response to the city setting a record for homicides. The final tally in 2020 was 61 homicides, which broke the previous record of 45 set in 2019. In 2021, there have been 14 homicides so far this year.
In that Facebook post Vaughan said, “This is a public safety issue. I am going to move forward with the proposed public hearings to get the input from stakeholders. That means anyone who has an interest in his ordinance (owners, promoters, patrons, law enforcement, or the general public.”
She also said, “We cannot turn a blind [eye] to businesses that have a history of operating in an unsafe manner.”
With two incidents in three days requiring police response, it would appear that Tranquilo would fit in that category of “operating in an unsafe manner.”
According to Police Chief Brian James, on Wednesday morning there were people fighting as Tranquilo was closing: “This resulted in our officers responding and breaking up the fight and dispersing the crowd.”
President of Downtown Greensboro Inc. (DGI) Zack Matheny said, “We’re doing everything we can and we’ve reached out to the property owner. This is a major issue for Greensboro. Something needs to be done. We can’t allow this.”