Greensboro Police Chief John Thompson at a press conference at 2 p.m. on Monday, March 4 announced that the city would appeal the court order to release the body-worn camera (BWC) videos of the domestic disturbance at the home of Greensboro City Manager Tai Jaiyeoba on Dec. 28, 2023.

Monday, March 4 was the deadline that North Carolina Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour had set for the Greensboro Police Department to release the BWC videos from the Greensboro police officers who responded to 911 calls reporting domestic violence at Jaiyeoba’s home on Dec. 28.

At the press conference Thompson said, “This decision stems from the city’s unwavering commitment to protect the integrity of the investigative process, safeguarding the privacy of involved parties and the inadvertent exposure of sensitive information. While we recognize the importance of transparency, we believe that appealing this ruling is necessary to ensure that all aspects of this investigation are conducted with the utmost care and consideration for the individuals involved.”

Thompson’s version of what occurred at Jaiyeoba’s home also differs from the official police report that was withheld from the public for almost a month after the incident.

Thompson said that his boss, Jaiyeoba, was the only person at the scene that had “observable signs of injuries.”  The police report lists two of Jaiyeoba’s daughters each as having an “Apparent Minor Injury.”  Tai Jaiyeoba is also listed on the report as having an “Apparent Minor Injury.” But according to Thompson Tai Jaiyeoba was the only one with “observable signs of injuries.”

Attorneys from the Greensboro city attorney’s office opposed the release of the BWC videos at the hearing before North Carolina Superior Court Judge Baddour on Monday, Feb. 19. However, last week Jaiyeoba, as a private citizen, hired a criminal defense attorney, James Quander, counsel with Womble Bond Dickinson in Winston-Salem, to represent him and file a “motion to intervene” in the case. The hearing on that motion to intervene was scheduled for Monday, March 4, but was postponed until Tuesday, March 5 because of a lack of notice.

In September, one of the attorneys involved in the case, Amiel Rossabi, who is the attorney for the Greensboro Police Officers Association, filed documents with the court stating that he would not be available for court the week of March 4 to March 8.  It is called “secured leave” and is supposed to be recognized by the court so that attorneys can take a vacation without being called back to court.

If Rossabi’s secured leave is recognized by the court, it would delay any hearing on the case until Monday, March 11 at the earliest.