The Guilford County Sheriff’s Department has reported the death of an inmate in the Guilford County Detention Center in Greensboro.

According to a press release from Guilford County Sheriff Danny Rogers, the death was the result of “a lengthy and chronic medical condition.”

Jeffery Lynn Johnson, a 61-year-old white male resident of Greensboro, died in the jail at about 10:20 a.m. on Tuesday, June 23. His next of kin have been notified.

Johnson’s death happened just one day before the Sheriff’s Department saw a big protest over the death of another inmate who passed away in jail in 2018.

Johnson was arrested by Guilford County sheriff’s deputies on Thursday, May 14, when he was charged with two counts of “Failure to Register as a Sex Offender.” Johnson was brought before a county magistrate for his initial appearance, and that magistrate found probable cause for his charges and committed him to the custody of the Sheriff’s Department under a $25,000 secured bond.

Not long after 9 a.m. on Tuesday, jail medical staff “observed that Mr. Johnson was in failing health and rendered care to him.”

The press release from the Sheriff’s Department states, “The decision was made to transport Mr. Johnson to the hospital for further treatment. While waiting for EMS to arrive to make that transport, Mr. Johnson was pronounced deceased by the Jail’s medical doctor who was at the scene during this time.”

According to Sheriff’s Department officials, in the five weeks that he was in the county’s custody, he was given medical treatment by the jail’s medical staff as well as by staff at an area hospital.

“Federal medical privacy laws under HIPAA prevent disclosure of Mr. Johnson’s medical information,” the press release states. “However, his Death Certificate, which was issued by the State Medical Examiner today, is a public record. That document states that Mr. Johnson died due to ‘Stage 4 Lung Cancer.”

The incident is still under investigation, but, according to the statement from the department, natural causes appear to have been the cause of death.

“Until the investigation is complete, no additional information will be provided to the media,” the release states.