The Greensboro City Council will hold its one business meeting of the month on Tuesday, Feb. 21 in the Katie Dorsett Council Chamber at city hall.

The meeting officially begins at 4:30 p.m., but the purpose of the early start is to hold a closed session. The public portion of the meeting should begin at 5:30 p.m. or later.  If the closed session runs long, the public portion of the meeting is delayed.  However, the City Council does not call the public portion to order until 5:30 p.m. even if the business in closed session is completed early.

At the second regular meeting of the month there is no public forum.  The public is allowed to speak on any agenda item, but people are not allowed to speak on non-agenda items – that is reserved for the first meeting of the month.

The agenda includes three annexations and original zoning cases and one rezoning case.  On Alamance Church Road, the requested annexation is for 0.32 acres owned by the City of Greensboro.

The other annexation and zoning requests are for 24 acres at 3510 Liberty Road and 17.4 acres at 3923, 3927 and 3929 Presbyterian Road.

The rezoning request is to rezone the property at 4200 and 4206 United Street from Conditional District – Commercial-Medium (CD-C-M) to Conditional District – Commercial-Medium (CD-C-M) and that’s not a typo.  If the City Council approves the rezoning request, the property will remain CD-C-M but the conditions for the conditional district zone will be altered.

The purpose of the rezoning request is to allow car sales on the 0.97-acre lot.  The current conditions of the CD-C-M zoning prohibit car sales.  The applicant also added conditions requiring vegetative screening and the paint color of the buildings be “earth-toned colors,” limiting exterior lighting and signage, setting the hours of operation from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and prohibiting chain-linked, barbed wire and woven wire fencing.

There was neighborhood opposition to this rezoning request at the Planning and Zoning Commission meeting, but the commission voted 8-0 to approve the rezoning request.