Food recalls happen often but it’s rare that the product is so popular that the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) makes a special announcement.
But that’s what happened on Monday, May 23 when there was a recall of the popular peanut butter Jif. The old ad campaign said that choosey mothers choose Jif, but NCDHHS officials pointed out that certain Jif brand peanut butters shouldn’t be eaten or served right now.
The department warned that some Jif brand peanut butter products are being recalled due to potential Salmonella contamination. Salmonella can cause diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps and other problems – and it can cause very serious illness in young children, elderly people and those with compromised immune systems.
“On May 20, 2022, J. M. Smucker Company issued a voluntary recall of select Jif peanut butter products,” the notice from NCDHHS states. “Fourteen cases of Salmonella related to this outbreak have been identified in 12 states. The 14 national cases of Salmonella that have been linked to this outbreak to date have resulted in two hospitalizations. There may be additional cases that have not been identified. In North Carolina, there has been one case associated with the outbreak to date.”
The dangerous jars of Jif peanut butter have lot codes of 1274425 through 2140425, with “425” at the end of the first 7 numbers. This recall involves several different types of peanut butter, including creamy, crunchy, natural and reduced fat.
NCDHHS notes that, since peanut butter has an extended shelf life, those who use the product should check any Jif brands they have at home.
If consumers have peanut butter impacted by this recall, state health officials advise treating it carefully: The instructions are to dispose of it immediately and wash and sanitize all containers and surfaces that could have come in contact with the peanut butter.
Anyone with questions can visit www.jif.com/contact-us or call 800-828-9980 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Anyone who has eaten recalled peanut butter and has symptoms of Salmonella should contact their healthcare provider.