Dear Carolyn,

I have three children, and I am a single parent. I just moved. I heard somewhere that there was more stimulus money available related to how many children I have. My ex is also behind on child support. Can anything be done to make sure his stimulus checks come to me for the back child support?


Carolyn Answers,

Covid has hurt the American family, such as yours. The American Rescue Plan was enacted this year to provide relief for many families. This year the Child Tax Credit has been increased to $3,600 for each child under age 6. For example, a couple making less than $150,000 with two children under age 6 will be eligible for $7,200 in 2021, all of which is not taxable income. For children between 6 and 17, there will be $3,000 per child.

Typically, this type of relief was only available when with a tax return filing. Under the American Rescue Plan, the payments are being sent from the IRS to families monthly, and these payments began in July 2021. IRS is sending $250 per month per eligible child between ages 6 and 17. The sum of $300 is being sent for each child under age 6. If you filed a 2019 and/or a 2020 tax return, your checks should be deposited into your account.  It is estimated that 39 million households and 90 percent of the children in the United States are receiving this relief.

The IRS also intercepts stimulus checks from child support payors who are behind on child support through the tax intercept program. Hopefully, that will help your ex get current on child support.

If you need help finding your stimulus money, try



Send your questions on family law and divorce matters to “Ask Carolyn…” at, or P.O. Box 9023, Greensboro, NC  27427.  Please do not put identifying information in your questions.  Note that the answers in “Ask Carolyn” are intended to provide general legal information, and the answers are not specific legal advice for your situation.  The column also uses hypothetical questions.  A subtle fact in your unique case may determine the legal advice you need in your individual case.  Also, please note that you are not creating an attorney-client relationship with Carolyn J. Woodruff by writing or having your question answered by “Ask Carolyn…”