The Guilford County Sheriff’s Department had a harrowing ordeal in Summerfield on Thursday night when a fake hostage situation ended with an accused felon shooting himself in a shed.

Guilford County Sheriff Danny Rogers reported on Friday, May 17 that, on Thursday night, just after 8 p.m., Sheriff’s Department deputies received notice of a 911 call from a woman on Oak Forest Drive in Summerfield. In the call, the woman stated that a man, Tyson Dolan Williams – a 39-year-old white male – had shown up where she was.  She also said that, because of an incident that had occurred earlier that day, she was in fear for her life.

When deputies arrived on the scene on Oak Forest Dr., they found Williams near a shed behind a house.  At that time, according to the report from the Sheriff’s Department, deputies confronted Williams who then fled into the shed and fired off a gunshot inside.

Officers then surrounded the building and attempted to negotiate with Williams.  Emergency response teams from the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office and the Greensboro Police Department responded to the incident.  Troopers from the NC Highway Patrol and other law enforcement agencies also helped out.

As authorities looked into the matter, they discovered that Williams was a wanted man being sought by the Greensboro Police Department, the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Department and the NC Highway Patrol.  He was facing kidnapping and felony robbery charges.

During the negotiations, Williams told the officer outside the shed that he had a hostage inside with him – however, the officers weren’t able to determine if that claim was true or not.  After hours of negotiations in the attempt to get Williams to surrender, deputies heard a gunshot from inside the shed.  They entered and found Williams had apparently shot himself.

There was no hostage inside as he had been claiming.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, medical attention was provided immediately for Williams, and Guilford County Emergency Services took him to a local hospital.  Currently, he remains in critical condition.

The Guilford County Sheriff’s Department statement said that the department would like to thank all the law enforcement agencies and Emergency Services staff who assisted in resolving the situation.

According to the department, an investigation is now ongoing.