The City of High Point is holding its next Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Event on Saturday, August 6.
The Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 1401 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. will open for a drop-off event on that Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. This event, which will include the ever-popular paper shredding service, will be an opportunity for residents of the City of High Point – but no one else – to drop off household waste items at no charge.
Proof of residency will be required, but if you are lucky enough to live in High Point, then you can get rid of the following that Saturday:
- Aerosols, batteries, bleach/cleaners, electronics, fire extinguishers, furniture polish, fluorescent bulbs, nail polish/removers
- Adhesives, gas cylinders, paints, solvents, stains/varnish, strippers/thinners, wood and metal cleaners, wood preservatives
- Antifreeze, auto batteries, brake fluid, cleaners/degreasers, diesel fuel, gasoline or mixed gas, motor oil and filters, transmission fluid
- Herbicides, lighter fluid, pesticides, poisons, pool chemicals
- Electronic items and tires – with a limit of four tires per visitor.
This event will also include paper shredding as well as Styrofoam recycling.
Paper shredding will be available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. There’s a limit of no more than four “Banker-sized boxes” (24 x 15 x 10 inches) of documents per vehicle.
Also, there will be a Styrofoam disposal service at the August 6 event: Accepted foam includes clean egg cartons and meat trays, clean foam takeout containers and cups, packing material and foam coolers.
Please note that tape, bubble wrap, pluck foam, foam wrapping and foam peanuts won’t be accepted.
Also, to increase the ease of collection, everyone should ensure that all loose Styrofoam is bagged.
According to the city’s announcement “City staff will direct all vehicles through and unload all materials. Disposal is for household waste only. Materials from businesses, household garbage or medical waste will not be accepted. Proof of residency will be required for all disposal services. Please have all materials collected in the trunk of your vehicle or the bed of your pick-up trucks for easy access and removal by staff. Updates will be provided before each event, or you can verify the event calendar at www.highpointnc.gov.”
High Point residents can also find a complete list of ordinary household items and their proper disposal methods by visiting www.highpointnc.gov/whatdoidowith.
For more information, call High Point Solid Waste Enforcement Officer Tim Daut at 336-823-0756 or email him at email@example.com.