As the song says, “Baby, it’s cold outside,” but Greensboro Downtown Parks Inc. is attempting to warm up the prospects downtown with six programs for the community this season.
And, unlike buying Christmas presents or going to dinner on New Year’s Eve, these activities are completely free.
The programs range from teaching wellness routines for the New Year to dog training classes and dance mixers. Downtown Parks is encouraging prospective program goers not to be put off by the cold weather since some of the winter programs will be indoors. Women’s Wellness 2020, Yoga and February’s Full Moon Fusion Dance Lab will all take place in the warmth of the Greensboro Cultural Center at 200 N. Davie St. downtown.
Here’s the lineup of the events this season in downtown parks:
- Group Dog Training with Megan Blake. Unlike the other offerings, this one is literally for the dogs. It will be held every Sunday of 2020 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at LeBauer Park. The class is being presented by Green Lincoln.
- Monday Free Skate. Each Monday – through Monday, January 20 – from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., WFMY2 Piedmont will host free ice skating at Winterfest rink at LeBauer Park – so you may even get to see some of your favorite TV personalities.
- Women’s Wellness for 2020 with Cheri Timmons Coaching. This class, presented by the Dawn S. Chaney Foundation, will help women start the new year in a healthy way and will take place each Tuesday, from January 7 – February 25. It will be held from noon to 1 p.m. at the Cultural Center in room 203.
- Winter Yoga Near the Park with Greensboro Downtown Yoga. This new take on the very old practice of yoga will be held every Wednesday, from January 8 through February 26 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in room 203 of the Cultural Center. Like the women’s wellness class, this is being presented by the Dawn S. Chaney Foundation.
- January Full Moon Fusion: Dance Mixer on Ice with Marcus B. Smooth. If you want to have fun, move a lot and meet new people at the same time, you can come out to this dance mixer on Friday, Jan. 10, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. It’s being sponsored by WFMY2 and will be held at Winterfest rink at LeBauer Park.
- February Full Moon Fusion: Movement Lab with Dance Project. For those who like to do their winter dancing indoors, this event will be held on the third floor of the Cultural Center in Dance Project Studios on Sunday, Feb. 9, from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
For more information on the Greensboro Downtown Parks programs, people can visit www.greensborodowntownparks.org.