The Guilford County Board of Commissioners has recognized the week of Monday, Nov. 13 thru Friday, Nov. 17 as “Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week” in a broad effort “to encourage community members to come together to amplify attention to the growing concerns of hunger and homelessness across Guilford County.”
Unlike some county “Awareness” weeks that merely call attention to a problem, this time around the county has planned a lot of activities to help address the problem in addition to making residents more informed.
Throughout Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, Guilford County and its community partners fighting homelessness and hunger alongside the county will host a variety of activities to help bring awareness and help address the issues.
The NC Cooperative Extension-Guilford County, better known as the Ag Center, is one of several core members of Healthy Guilford – a community coalition that works to improve the health and well-being of residents in Guilford County. The Cooperative Extension, at 3309 Burlington Road in Greensboro, will be a focal point this week in the effort.
Here’s the schedule of events for the week:
- Monday, Nov. 13 thru Friday, Nov. 17. Food Drive. Donations will be accepted at Guilford County DSS, Public Health, Cooperative Extension, and Guilford County Schools offices.
- Tuesday, Nov. 14: Movie Night. Documentary Screening of “Resilience – Food for All and The Hard Time Generation” at the Cooperative Extension at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 15: Virtual Awareness Event meant to spread awareness about hunger and homelessness in Guilford County.
- Thursday, Nov. 16: Volunteer Day. Visit the Continuum of Care’s webpage to find a list of community organizations and homeless service providers for potential volunteer opportunities. The address is https://www.guilfordcountync.gov/our-county/human-services/continuum-of-care
- Friday, Nov. 17: One Guilford/ Better Together Day. Wear orange and volunteer at local organizations.
If you want to learn more about Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week in Guilford County, or get more details regarding the events, visit the Continuum of Care’s webpage or send an email to infoCoC@guilfordcountync.gov.